Saturday, July 10, 2010

1st image from my newly built 4x5 pinhole camera

Actually I'm working on more than just images. I promised to create pictures with a pinhole camera. I didn't have any handy so I had to go and build one.

The basic premise of a pinhole camera is easy.

1) Box that doesn't leak light
2) Light sensitive material (film or paper)
3) Very, very small hole to let some light in

I happen to have Polaroid 550 pack film holder and some Fuji FP-100B45 film for it at home so I decided to build a camera around that. How cool is it that you get instant pinhole shots from your hand crafted camera!

I build the camera out of black 3/8" foamcore board. It seems sturdy enough when constructed with plenty of glue and duck tape. The lens is made of a soda can where I made as small of a hole I could.

Only problem with the camera is actually not a problem with the camera, but the way I loaded the film into the holder. When loaded wrong, the tab that is used to pull out the instant film makes the pressure uneven on the film and creates the lighter line in the picture.

I'll fix this as soon as I get to a dark room. Tomorrow will be the day for pinhole photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment